Thursday 10 January 2008

A frustrating evening

I got home to relatively clear skies. My the time I'd had tea, got the children into bed and so on, the sky had cloudy over completely. Then it started to clear and I could see Mars and bits of Orion. I got out the telescope but there was only the odd star visible at a time as clouds drifted passed, so not enough to try aligning it.
Then it clouded over again. About an hour later it was starting to clear in patches again and I could clearly see Orion, so I got out the laptop and the camera attachment.

By the time I had things assembled the cloud had drifted in again and covered it up. Half an hour later when I looked out it was starting to clear a bit again, and for a time it was clear enough to pick some stars for alignment. Then with Mars in the frame I took some images, but they weren't great - there seems to have been a fair bit of high level thin cloud. I think its also overexposing.


It did give me a chance to try it with a 2x barlow lens which looked promising. I also managed to try out Saturn again, but I couldn't really get the focusing right, and it kept drifting in and out of the haze.

So after several hours in the will it, won't it clear mode, I decided to give up and go to bed!

No comments: